Friday, February 26, 2010

Baking two and baking more!

Today was good and busy for me and Cecil...we had a project...he went to the store for items I needed....He washed the dishes from each project ..I like to cook new things and he likes to eat :o)
First thing on the menu was the "Buttermilk Pie", it was a few steps to make it..and of course I took my time...
This is the first finished pie before it was baked! I was very pleased with it's appearance and was surprised at how full the shell became with the ingredients..:o)
Here are the two pies after they were cooked...one is darker than the other Maybe I should have put the two on the same level, one was put in a few minutes after the other..I hope they both taste the same, once they were cooled we broke right into it and I have to say we certainly enjoyed the "Buttermilk Pie" thanks to Kathleen visit her at  
http://countrykitchenkat.blogspot.com/



Last week I made some Ultimate Ginger cookies, they were so good with a glass of milk, we ate them up lickity split...
Since the weather man keeps speaking of more snow come Tuesday I figured I better make home a happy place for those few days.. I'll be content to just sit and nibble while I watch TV :o)....
this second batch came out so much better than the first, I declare I'm getting good at making cookies :o)...Cecil is being so sweet ..(he wants my cookies :o) If you notice these are much lighter than the first batch..and look more like ginger , I used an older bottle of molasses and I think that's why..
I was pleased with the pies taste, only thing my crust was for the birds, when you get used to buying crust you lose the little skill you had...I'm going to keep making my own until it gets as easy as pie (forgive the pun)...

12 comments:

Connie said...

Well, Ginny, you've had a busy day! I've never had buttermilk pie, but it sure sounds good. And yes, your cookies look absolutely wonderful! :D

Hope you stay safe and warm in the snow. We are getting more snow again here. Roads are pretty bad here right now.

ladydi said...

Mmmm. Maybe 3:00 would be better so there's some left for me. I'm glad you made two pies, I'll be happy to try a slice of each just to let you know. . . ;0)

I love to bake, and if I had someone coming along behind me to clean up my mess I'd spend MUCH more time baking. Perhaps I should display a notice in our kitchen. :>}

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Hi Ginny, so glad you liked the pie! As I had mentioned in my post.........it took me years to remeber this and my grandmother's kitchen..........but I am so glad that memory came to surface! I have taken this to church suppers and everyone always asks for the recipe. Have a good weekend, blessings,Kathleen

Eggs In My Pocket said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Once you start tasting, you can't seem to stop :o( I'm so happy with everything I baked, and Cecil is happy and just as tired as I am by keeping up with the dishes..but he likes everything so well, he encourages me to make as much mess as you like...(I like that)..Everything turned out so well the "Buttermilk Pie" is a pleasant surprise to us both and will have to become a regular.
.Ginny

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Ladydi,One pie is already gone! I'll have to make more so you can at least taste mine...maybe next week when we are snowed in :o)
Ginny

Deborah said...

Your blog sorely tempts me everytime I visit with yummy looking treats. I'm trying to control my blood sugar by avoiding sweets, but you make them look so good!

I hate that my blog post made you sad. Perhaps someone who really loves your machine ended up with it. I can tell you I am so grateful there are machines out there to buy. No one left me a treadle machine and I am so grateful to have one. Perhaps you have made someone really happy out there too.

Deborah said...

I looked for the recipe, but couldn't find it.

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Deborah, I think your right,
sometimes we have to be reminded of our blessings..I'll try and send the recipe to your email.
.ginny

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gingerbreadshouse7 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ohiofarmgirl said...

Buttermilk pie is one of my favorites!