Sunday, March 13, 2011

Today was another very busy day!

Slicing Cabbage for Kraut
First thing today was take the collards out of the box and fix them for dinner and tomorrow get the rest out of the garden and put in the freezer, since I'm all out of jars.
Then I got quite busy with making Sauerkraut. Every since Cecil and I had the Ribs cooked with potatoes and kraut we have been itching to have it again...Next time I said " we will make our own Kraut" and so today was the day (Cabbage was on sale, but next time I'll have grown my own :o). It didn't take long (20 minutes) to slice up the cabbage with today's new gadget..and my only problem at first was "Where's my Old Fashioned Crock"? When I moved , did I leave it? Was it broken and no one said anything? was it in the shed? none of the above...So what can I do ugh!
Make do, is what you do! So I used one of the many flower pots I just had to have :o)  and it worked out just fine..It's Ceramic, doesn't leak, it's pretty too :o) and it holds a lot of cabbage..Your looking at three very large cabbages (including the leaves),and they didn't fill the pot up, so that just shows me how much to make next time :o)...nothing but Cabbage and salt..(kosher salt I used).
 I covered it with a pillow sham that fit the top just right with a large rubber band..I'll change that into a string to tie..( I got tired and had to sit) inside I have a plate covering the cabbage with a weight to keep it down in it's water..I told Cecil when it starts to ferment it will smell, neither of us cared if it did :o)  don't have a basement anymore. I got the instruction from my new friend Kalle..visit her at her blog and see all the good things she
does.
http://kellesneverdonefarm.blogspot.com

7 comments:

Ohiofarmgirl said...

thats the can-do spirit! i saw the cabbage on sale also but they didn't look very good. but i've been planning more sauerkraut also. great work!

Connie said...

Ginny, you're such a busy bee! You're going to have some good eats to go with the ribs and potatoes next time around. :)

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Ohiofarmgirl, that "can do spirit" is kicking my butt! It seems there is always more to do to stay ahead. Is there no rest for a "Farmer Wanabe?". :o) Maybe that's why I don't have any chickens :o)

Kelle at The Never Done Farm said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ohiofarmgirl said...

Nope, Ginny, "there's no rest" - as they say. I snuggled one of the hens for you today.

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Very smart Ginny! And the crock looks oriental! Although I am American, I had a Japanese aunt. My uncle married my Aunt Nockumula Mitzuko, we called her Mitzi, during his time in the war. She was so wonderful. She too, fixed kraut in those big heavy tan crocks. I also got my first taste of squid and she made the best fried rice ever. She just passed aways about a year ago. I bet your kraut will be wonderful! blessings,Kathleen

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Kathleen, it takes a while for the Kraut to make, but I'm willing to give it a try...we learn many things from other Nationalities if we stop to listen and then learn..My own family is a family of "United Nations" within it'self :o) each brings it's own individualality and that makes it great. Cecil and I did a good job I think. :o)