Sunday, January 29, 2012


I had no intentions of doing as much today (Saturday) as I ended up doing!..I went to take a look at the Rutabaga turnips to see if I had any thing worth harvesting..Well, it seems as if I did :o)...So I picked those that were the largest and decided to leave some that were trying to grow onto the big ones..(here I go experimenting again :o)  who knows how well they will do if left alone..Cecil  found a turnip that was left from last year and it went into the pot too :o)                                            
There weren't many green tops, but with some homemade cornbread , I'd make that dinner.   

Then I decided to take a look at the "P" Garden to see how the Collards were fairing! they should have been harvested a week or two ago, but I just wasn't able to get tothem.They were begging to be harvested so I

decided to get in gear and get them up before i lost them..








I think they did pretty good growing over here witht he Pears, Peachs and other flower plants we have on this side..so i thing the "P" garden is a good spot for them  water and sun wise. This gives us more land to grow food ..it's just "Almost an Acre" and we are using it wisely.. Don't think I forgot about chickens either. I'm going to see if I can find a farmer who would be willing to part with some of his "Free Range" ones. That's better than wishing in one hand and  *#$***in the other.  I'm glad that we do something with what we have, especially everytime I open a canning jar or go to the freezer :o)..We are Blessed...in more ways than one..you too! 
                                            

15 comments:

Mrs.Pickles said...

lovely harvests this week!! I hope you are able to get your hands on some chickens. Are you wanting to raise them or just eat them?

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Mrs Pickles,
I would love to raise them so I know what I'm eating , but alas! they aren't allowed here in this developement.
I'm hoping to find a true farmer who will sell me some:o)

Jody said...

What a great harvest of wintertime veggies! It sure is funny how we sometimes do the most important and necessary things without any planning at all.

Mr. H. said...

Your rutabaga turnips look wonderful...the perfect size. Looks like you have plenty of collards to work with as well. Best of luck finding some chickens, too bad you can't raise your own.

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Jody,
I'm so glad I got that job done! Now i can go back to my weaving with a clear mind :o)

Mr H.
your a charm, praising my little tinket of Rutabaga when your growing miles of them :o) , thanks anyway they do taste good ..and Cecil swears I'm the best cook in the world ( that's so he can eat more than me :o).
Maybe I'm not praying about those chickens hard enough or maybe it's just too late and I refuse to admit it ..The Force knows :o)

Robin said...

Wonderful winter harvest Ginny! I too wish that we could have chickens here. Maybe I can get Jody to raise some for us ;)

Norma Chang said...

Good looking rutabaga, how do you prepare them?
Cannot wait to start planting outdoors again. Well, the days are getting longer so spring must be just around the corner.

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Norma Chang.
I prepare my Rutabaga by peeling, dicing, cover with water add black pepper salt to taste and a little sugar (tsp) to take out some of the bitter taste. Sometimes I mash it like potatoes and sometimes I serve it like it's cooked. All according presentation with the rest of the meal :o)

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Love the veggies! Get you some chickens! blessings,Kathleen

Leigh said...

Isn't it fun to figure out ways and places to plant things? I love that you're planting things by your fruit trees. I've not tried rutabagas yet but I understand they keep longer than turnips. They sure look like turnips!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Kathleen,
I'd love to get some chickens of my own but the HOA rules say nay! I'm ready to move but hubby isn't :o(

Leigh,
it's hard work trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill :o) We try to use every spot nook and granny to make the land take care of us as we take care of it..We are finding it's cheaper in the long run raising your own.Rutabagas have a little different taste..I had them often as a child, and still enjoy them..Try some store bought and then get to planting :o)

Connie said...

Ginny, I don't think you know how to take a day off to rest. ;) You've been wishing for chickens for as long as I've been visiting your blog. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it possible for you to have some of your own to raise. I would if I could!! :D

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Dearest Daisy,
that's one of the nicest things I've heard in a while,and wish it could be done :o)..I used to barter with Cecil (tears, silence, Sex :o) but somewhere along these 63 years I've lost my knack :o( Oh Well, maybe next life :o).

1st Man said...

I gave you an award! I appreciate all that you do!

http://twomenandalittlefarm.blogspot.com/2012/02/versatile-blogger.html

Big hugs!!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

1st man,
thanks and your welcome :o)