Friday, March 25, 2011

Getting back to Mixed Greens "Again"




I'm going to get off the subject of Greens soon enough , but for now I'm enjoying it.
This morning there was nothing pushing us, yesterday Cecil worked out the garden where we had the Collards planted (there in the freezer now :o) and another small plot of Broccoli Rabe. In the meantime it rained Tuesday and it seemed the Plot with the Mixed Greens just kept on growing and growing. When we picked them, we just snapped off the leaves and also I like to add the tender buds and some of the tender yellow flowers, I think  they give off some bitterness and we both like that taste in our greens..Cecil wondered where he got all that strength from yesterday to do all that digging..Greens, baby, greens :o)...We could very well dig up that little plot, but why should we! We are getting so many pots of greens from it every time it rains they grow more...l sit on my little orange stool and just pick at my leisure :o)..The little tubs ($1. at the Dollar store) come in nice and handy to use for both oof us...




Today I'm cooking too big pots greens we picked this morning to have for the whole weekend...when your hungry just get a plate and microwave...l made some cornbread too...get a slice  (I'll probably have to make more, we have eaten up half already , this was Lunch :o) yeah! right) it's going to be dinner, snack, breakfast and whatever else you want to call it ..I'm frying some chicken and that's it...(for now anyway, I need to rest).



This is the little plot that just keeps on growing and growing, it seems the more we pick, then it rains and she keeps on 
growing like the energized bunny :o) , for a while we are just going to let her keep on growing  until we are ready to plant something else in that spot ..after we till it up and give it something nice for all it's efforts :o).They say if your good to the land it will be
good to you...Well, Amen to that one. 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only thing I can get to grow around my house like the energized bunny is weeds! :-)

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

LOL, I'm sorry about that :o( , just keep trying and it will come...:o)

Ohiofarmgirl said...

I'm just gonna sit here for a while and look at your spring pictures and all those greens! Green, baby, green is just right!

Happy Sunday!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sure would love to have that problem of recurring greens, Ginny!

ladydi said...

I love the thought of the rain coming down and the greens coming up. Nice!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Last year we worked so hard hand tilling the soil and adding fertilizer in order to help the greens to grow! We had done it "too late":o( and the greens didn't grow before the season was gone!, We must have done something right or somebody up there took pity :o) so now they are producing and we are grinning from ear to ear. I will Harvest and put them away as long as they last :o).my children are depending on it :o)

Paula said...

Mmmmm... those look so good, Miss Ginny! We had our first mess of them this weekend... and boy, it does wonders for your colon! *hehe*

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Well Ginny, not much rain here and I have not planted anything as of yet.......except for two apple trees. So glad the weather is being good to you! blessings,Kathleen

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Paula, you can say that again Hehehe theres always room for more :o)

Kathleen, that's a good start, I hope my Apple trees will produce something this year..