Saturday, December 3, 2011

No Rest for the Weary


Today all I had planned to do, was sit in my "chair bed" and take it easy until I felt like playing with the loom later..yesterday we Food shopped until we dropped, and we were still tired this morning...Cecil went to the barber and I looked in the fridge to find something to eat..what did I do that for! Those carrots were growing whiskers ;o(  after my bowl of oatmeal I went right into them...I like adding carrots and onions sauteed into cooking my rice, it makes such a big difference in the taste :o). Being the frugal person that I am..there was my Mother with that saying again..."Waste Not, Want Not" :o( So I got my butt into gear and started with the peeling,mincing ,bagging,and vacuuming Carrots into little bundles ...I ended up with quite a  few, maybe enough for six months or more..from one bag of carrots :o


I'm happy that I have this food processor it makes short work of mincing food..
Carrots all minced up nice and neat..it didn't take the machine but a minute to do it where it would have taken me an hour or more and my Arthritic  hands would have been sore by now..this gadget is a great invention. Too bad Grandma didn't have one.

I put a large serving spoonful into some Saran wrap and fold it tightly..and then into a "Penny" bag :o) and vacuum the air out..I put them into the freezer. I put five or six into a bag and left room so I could re seal the bag when I take one out..that's going to be working out pretty good.


9 comments:

Mrs.Pickles said...

Great work..now go and take a good rest!

cathy@home said...

all my spaghetti and pizza sauce has carrots in them it makes it a little sweet.
I love the idea with the rice sounds like a nice lunch.

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Mrs.Pickles
when I think I'm going to rest something pops up :o(

Cathy@home
after I saute the carrots and onions I put the the rice in the pan and saulte that a bit, then I add chicken stock and let it boil, then reduce to a simmer or finish cooking in the microwave..makes it taste sooo good then I serve it with anything that goes with it :o)

Tink said...

Good idea. I still have not done any llom knitting but I must try it for chritmas gifts. Happy Holidays , Tink

Connie said...

Ginny, you're a busy bee. The carrots look great. You'll be glad later that you have those all done and at the ready when you want them. Have a good weekend! :)

Robin said...

That's a great idea Ginny! I just may do that. It will save me a lot of time when I go to cook something.

The work just never seems to end!

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Daisy,
I just cant seem to find the time to stop :o( something is always popping up for me to do! The weekend goes by so fast :o( Monday is right around the corner.

Robin
I feel good that I saved those carrots and I was able to "sit" while I did most of the work :o) Those bags are getting me into trouble :o) seems I'm always trying to put something into them :o)

Jody said...

Ginny you are amazing. Sauteed carrots and onions sound perfect with plain old rice.

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Jody,
it makes a big difference with the rice sauteed too. You will find it changes the whole dish. Hey Jody, I'm glad you realize my position haha :o)