Sunday, August 17, 2008

Being a Busy Bee

Staying busy sure takes up a lot of time .....and to rest ....you sit in front of the "Boob Tube" :o) ...Don't know why it's still called that...there's lots of things to learn from it these days, especially for those who don'[t do a lot of traveling....Mostly we watch the PBS stations and get quite a bit of informative information...There is lots of help with Gardening....Farming etc. And we take a lot of trips via "Travels" , I'm just about worn out just looking :o).
There are a lot of good cooks out there too! I learned to make Plantains again watching "Daisy Cooks"... I used to be just an "Emeril's girl"...
Hope your not too disappointed not seeing a picture on this blog...Yesterday was a busy one for me ....I had to run to "Deep Roots" to pick up more "Stevia", and Rye Flour....also couldn't resist getting some Local Figs...I'll be so happy if my little tree grows up next year and supplies me abundantly....
I made a Rye Bread yesterday in the Bread Machine...The consistency was beautiful and the taste was very good....only thing it didn't rise as high as the recipe I used to make regular bread,,. I didn't use "Gluten" and I think that was the Key..
Oh well, maybe next time...I've never worked with Gluten before...not sure I understand what it really is other than it helps Rye to rise....Rye won't rise on it's own.....unless I'm mistaken..The loaf I made rose half as high but it was still good , but went too quickly ...at one sitting ....

3 comments:

jillied said...

Looks like our two great minds are working alike. I had trouble with my whole wheat bread, this week. Made 3 loves that looked like hocky pucks. Finally (after a lot of research) found that you have to use at least 1/2 white bread flour, and 2/3 is even better. I had used gluten but it is tricky getting the right amount, so it's easier to just make sure there is enough white flour to make the bread rise.

Finally got a perfect loaf and wish I had some peach jam to spread on it. :-)

xoxoxoxoxo

Gingerbreadshouse7 said...

Don't worry Jilly, we make enugh good stuff to balance bread making :o)....Ginny

Connie said...

I bet this bread still tasted good anyway Ginny, even if it didn't rise as much. I don't have a bread machine, so I've never done it that way. I've made it and baked it in the regular oven, but haven't done it lately.